Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Limbo Theory

Limbo is a game I stumbled upon with, well, stumbleupon before it even became a game to be paid for. It’s trailer was beyond intriguing to me being a brooding, loving dark things teen. When I finally got my hands on it I enjoyed the experience overall, but felt a little disappointed with the whole thing not being like the beginning area. But, that actually plays a part into the meaning I feel it has.


I've read the car crash theory of this, but I got something of my own out of it. Limbo reminds me of Journey in that there are so many interpretations. Mine was about age and being a wuss about things. The game is split up into three sections: the forest, the industrial area, and a mixture of the two which I would say is just the future. All of these areas are seen through the eyes of a man who didn't want to grow up and feared everything that would change. Now he’s going through it again in limbo after having died. From bullies shooting darts at him (spit wads) to giant spiders (uh, spiders) in the first area: his childhood. This place has all the wonder of being a child and that’s why it’s so interesting.  


Then the industrial setting sets in and this is where the character has aged, but not mentally. At least not in being brave, but absolutely by physical form. That’s where the symbolism comes in that keeps him as a whiny child though. The man child goes through work environments like factories that all impose a threat such as circular saws and crushing gears. Not only has it gotten dangerous by real, although symbolically exaggerated, threats, it has also gotten boring to the character and therefore isn't as exciting as the part where you are young.


Finally we come to the last area with the gravity puzzles and machine guns. I said this was the future because the character hasn't even grown up as a middle aged or old man. He doesn't like the change what with the new technology, but life has become more calm. Same with the game because you’re so experienced with it at this point and so is the character with life.  

Now, there is one thing. What’s up with the sister? I have three ideas about who this is. The little sister is either something to give the main character a bit of depth. My second idea is that they put the sister in as a goal for the game since that is what we expect from a game, or it’s my more preferred idea. The sister is the good points of youth. Even if we have a bad childhood, we usually want to live it again because there wasn't much to worry about. It was more simplistic. When you break through the glass you have finally reached heaven and he is back as his young self with the person who made his life happy.    

New writing every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment